Build Date: ca.1875
Location: California State Route 29 at Rutherford Road, Rutherford
Current Status: Endangered
Significance: The Rutherford Train Station history began in 1871, when the Napa Valley Railroad extended its line northward toward Calistoga and established a temporary end-of-track within the small community called ‘Rutherford’. The area and the train were named after Thomas Rutherford, who had received 1,040 acres of land after marrying the granddaughter of local settler George C. Yount. According to the St. Helena Star in an 1882 interview, Thomas Rutherford paid the railroad for a new train terminal to spare his new wife and family the inconvenience of bumpy wagon rides from the old Yountville terminus to their Upvalley lands. Currently, the Rutherford Train Station retains integrity of location, design, setting, materials, feeling and association and is recommended by NCL as eligible for listing on the National Register, the California Register, and the County Historic Resource Inventory list under several criteria.
The Rutherford Train Station is a rectangular side gabled structure that is believed to be constructed of redwood throughout. The exterior consists of 6 over 6 single hung windows, transoms, and various other non-historic windows, a ticket bay with a ribbon of three 6 over 6 windows, a large center bay for passengers, and an open landing for freight along the north façade. The roof consists of layers of material that include the original wood shingles, as well as tar and composite shingles. There are wide overhanging eaves along the roof line with decorative brackets that are original to the building.
no images were found