The original Salvador School was built in 1868 on Big Ranch Road. By 1922, the independent school districts consolidated, and the Salvador Union School District purchased property for the Salvador Elementary School, and this building was built in 1923, with several small additions built several years later. The original Mission Revival style building contained over 9,600 square feet, housing a multi-purpose room, four classrooms, two offices and two restrooms.
The architect was Norman R. Coulter of San Francisco, who designed numerous public buildings throughout northern California.
1923 class photo taken outside on school campus at Salvador Avenue. Photo courtesy: Napa Valley Register 2019.
In 1965 the Salvador District built several new school buildings adjacent to this building, and in 1967, after rejecting demolition bids that the district deemed too high, the 1923 school building was saved, and for many years was used for storage. Starting several years ago, using Measure M Bond funding, the building has been faithfully restored and retains its original appearance on the outside while restoring many of the original details on the inside.